Front Yard Plantings - Knowledgebase Question

Mattapan, Ma
Question by RLillyO
Hello I have a brick cape and wanted to know your advice on which shrubs, that are quick growers, I can place along the front of my home that will look nice? I also would like to plant some flowering shrubs, are there any that produces flowers from spring to fall, 3 seasons? I would like a mixture of evergreens that don't lose their leaves in the winter and flowering shrubs. I live in MA.

Although there are some exceptions, most broadleaf evergreen shrubs have a specific bloom period - spring, summer, or fall. If you want color throughout the season, you can plant a variety of flowering shrubs. When one has finished flowering, another shrub can be just coming into flower. You're in gardening zone 5 so there will be lots of different shrubs you can include in your landscape. You'll want to sketch out your garden, taking measurements so you know that the plants you choose will fit into the spaces you've allocated. You'll also want to note the sun exposure of each planting area and then choose shrubs and perennials that will thrive with the amount of sunshine available. There are so many variables that I can't really suggest shrubs at this point. But I can suggest that you take your measurements and sketches to the nursery and read the plant tags on those shrubs and perennials that most appeal to you. If they fit in the spaces you've allocated, you've got a winner! Best wishes with your design!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"