balcony plants - Knowledgebase Question

Scottsdale, Ar
Question by danaefarrell
I bought 2 japanese mock orange plants to put on my balcony. One of them is growing many new buds but at the same time the leaves are falling off a lot and it's loosing it's fullness. Am I overwatering? I water 1x a day early in the morning.

0

You may be overwatering. Plants in containers can dry out quickly so they may need watering everyday, but they may not. It's important to check before automatically watering because even though the top of the soil may appear dry, there may still be lots of moisture at the bottom of the planter and the roots may already be saturated. Try sticking your finger down into the soil to check the moisture content before you automatically apply water. If it is still moist an inch below the surface, you won't need to water for a day or two; if it feels dry, it's time to water. Eventually you'll get a feel for how often you need to water your mock orange plants. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"