do you cut the banana tree below the leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by djewell2009
I was given an banana plant tree and she had us to cut just the leaves off to store for the winter. And that it is soring I am wondering de we suppose to cut the plant in the middle instead of leaving the top part on it. I also want to know if there small ones attached do we remove them from the big one. I also replant two hibicus plant we they regrow from winter sleep.

You can plant your banana in the ground or keep it in a container. New sprouts will develop from the roots each spring so you can either cut the plant all the way down to store in for the winter or just leave it alone until new sprouts develop from the base in the springtime. If there are little pups attached to the main stem you can carefully separate them and pot them up on their own. Each pup needs to be allowed to grow until it develops its own root system. When you see the roots you can pull the pup from the plant. You can plant your hibiscus outdoors now. They will sprout new leaves and stems soon. Enjoy your tropical garden.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"