japanese maple - Knowledgebase Question

Golden, Co
Question by sheriakes
I have a red select japanese maple purchased from home depot in the summer of '08. last year it did really well, then a sudden frost hit while all the plants were still flowering and had leaves. this year the maple is looking really bad. it had started to get some leaves then a couple of frosts hit in April and now it looks terrible. what can I do to help it out?

Poor tree! I think it will recover but each time it gets hit by frost it will take longer and longer for it to recover and replace the damaged leaves. Once it finally gets a chance to grow a full season without frost damage it should have enough reserve energy to take a few late frosts in stride. There's not much you can do to control the weather so you'll just have to put up with the damage. Sometimes you can encourage new growth with a light pruning. Give that a try and see if that doesn't help your maple leaf out. If not you may need to move it to a more protected area of the landscape so it doesn't suffer so many setbacks in the early springtime.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"