pruning a weeping cherry - Knowledgebase Question

Port Washington, Wi
Question by lakeviewtrop
I bought a weeping cherry tree 3 years ago, & it was a great shape. Since then some brances are growing almost straight up & it doesn't look alot like a weeping tree. Is there some way to weight the branches to bring them down, or do I need to prune those branches off? If I do need to prune them, when should it be done - I live in Wisconsin.

I use little fishing weights to bring the upright branches down. You might also try tying small rocks to the branches. It looks interesting but it's only temporary. When the bark on the branches matures, the branches will retain their weeping habit. Tie the rocks with cotton string and loop the string loosely over the branches so you don't damage the bark or cut off the circulation. Fishing weights can be attached with monofilament fishing line. If the branch is large, you can tie a rock or weight towards the end and add another mid-way along the branch. This way there won't be too much pressure on any particular part of the branch. The rocks can hang down from the branch on their cotton string hammocks. When I do this the neighbors think I'm a little odd, but the result is a perfectly shaped weeping cherry tree!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"