My cherries didn't develop - Knowledgebase Question

Pemberville, Oh
Question by kmaree4
NW Ohio. I inherited a small orchard. One cherry tree has growing cherries. The other tree is half pear and half cherry - growing together somehow. But the cherries never got larger than tic-tacs. Does that mean it didn't get pollinated by another cherry tree? Thanks.

I'd guess the cherry tree was not pollinated - or that it's an ornamental cherry tree rather than a fruit bearing tree. Ornamental trees can set small fruit but then the fruits stop maturing and drop off the tree. You are correct, Sweet cherry trees need a second sweet cherry cultivar in the landscape in order to produce fruit. I'm curious about the tree that is both pear and cherry. I have a feeling this tree is an ornamental rather than a fruit bearing tree. Only time will tell.....

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"