Major Orchid Problem - Knowledgebase Question

Naples, Fl
Question by RobertLowery
I live in Naples Florida
and have approximately 15 orchids outside. These plants are getting very big!! What do I do to control this?

0

You should be proud of your orchids! They sound very happy and healthy. You can divide your orchids. If they are in the ground, dig them carefully so as not to damage the root systems. If they are in containers, simply lay the container on its side and coax out the root mass. Divide the healthy root clusters into several new root divisions, ensuring that several young, newly formed root shoots are part of each division you make. If you want to divide sympodial orchids (which feature what are known as "pseudobulbs" in their roots), make sure that each division has at least three pseudobulbs attached to it. After dividing, repot or replant and water well. The new divisions will take several years to become huge, overgrown plants. At that time you can dig and divide them again. Enjoy your orchids!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"