Elephant Ears - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Dolores Negrete
Los Angeles, Ca
Question by cubone_91754
My elephant ears are getting a wilted greyish-yellow color on the leaves. It's not for lack of water, they are in a shady area. Is it a disease. They were fine since I planted them last year in the fall. What is happening to them, and what can I do to heal them?

0

Wilted, grayish colored foliage indicates overwatering which can lead to root rot. It's important that your elephant ears get adequate moisture but if the soil doesn't drain well, it can remain soggy. Saturated soils will deplete oxygen, which plant roots need. Water thoroughly then wait a few days and check the soil's moisture before watering again. You can dig down near the roots or you can use a stick to probe the soil. If the stick comes out dry, it's time to water; if it has soil clinging to it or it feels damp, you won't need to water for a few more days. I'd prune off the affected leaves to encourage healthy new leaves. Best wishes with your plant!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"