Dahlias - Knowledgebase Question

Oceanside, Ne
Question by dmarino1
I would like to know how to plant Dahlias.Do they grow as a bush or just a flower. How far from my hostes plant should I plant. Can I leave them in the ground over the winter and they will grow next spring.

0

Plant dahlias in well amended soil (dig a 12" deep hole, amend the soil you took out of the hole with compost or peat moss, then place about 6" of the amended soil into the hole), set the tuber into the soil and fill over it with the amended soil that's left. You might want to drive a stake into the soil so you can tie your dahlia up as it grows. Dahlias need full sunshine so they won't grow well near your shade loving hostas. When frost kills the tops of the plants in the fall you'll want to cut off the dead tops and dig the tuber to store in a cool, dark, above-freezing spot until next spring. Replant as above. Enjoy your dahlias.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"