control cutter ants - Knowledgebase Question

del rio, Te
Question by sgraham003
Cutter ans arrive and destroy my rose bushes in a or 2 nights. What can I use to stop the attacks. They hit 5 of my bushes last night. I know they will be back tonight
Thank you

0

Control of Texas leaf cutting ants is difficult. Although plants can be protected temporarily using powder or granular formulations of contact insecticides like acephate (Orthene), carbaryl (Sevin) or permethrin, these treatments must be reapplied frequently. Also, plant applications do not eliminate underground colonies. The large size and complexity of leaf cutter ant nests makes it difficult to obtain good control with dust, liquid and granular insecticides. Because these ants eat only the fungus they cultivate, they do not respond to most other ant baits, such as those labeled for fire ants. A special formulation of hydramethylnon, Amdro Ant Block, is currently the only widely available product that is labeled for control of leaf cutting ants. This product can be used on most sites such as lawns, landscaped areas, golf courses, ornamental gardens, and other noncropland areas such as roadsides, commercial grounds, etc. Best wishes with your control project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "