Asparagus Growing - Knowledgebase Question

Georgetown, CT
Question by ant80007
November 9, 1998
I planted several asparagus plants this summer, 1 year old crowns. What should I do for them to prepare for winter months. Cover them? Cut them back?

November 9, 1998

0

Asparagus will benefit from some mulch this winter. Wait until frost kills the tops, then leave the foliage attached, but bend it down over the bed. Add several inches of mulch material, and your plants will be all set for the winter. In the spring you'll need to remove the mulch material and cut the old foliage off the plants before the new foliage emerges. By removing and destroying the foliage, you'll remove and destroy any overwintering insects and eggs, as well. You should be able to harvest asparagus from your bed when your plants are three years old.