houseplant - Knowledgebase Question

Saginaw, Te
Question by ninijunior15
May 12, 2010
i recently bought a plant from home depot and planted it in a container when I got home. Yesterday when I went to water it, there were mushrooms growing everywhere. Did I do something wrong? and how do I get rid of them?

Answer from NGA
May 12, 2010


The mushrooms are growing from the partially decomposed organic matter in the potting soil. It's very possible the potting soil contains mushroom compost which will have mushroom spores throughout. They aren't harmful but I'd pull them out as they appear, before they spill their spores and you have more mushrooms. As the potting soil ages, you won't have mushrooms growing.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"