yellow mold in yard - Knowledgebase Question

jenning, Mi
Question by alex4112003
I have old mulch in my yard and today I noticed there is a pile of what appears to be yellow powder in it. Is it possible that it is mulch?

0

What you are seeing are the above ground portions of slime mold. The underground portions are feeding on decaying organic matter in the mulch. As soon as that is used up, or as soon as conditions are no longer suitable to them, they will stop growing. The mold will not harm living plants and are a natural part of the process of decay. You can dig up and remove the patch, or you can rake the mulch to incorporate fresh air. This will most likely stop the mold growth. Good luck with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"