Timing of planting trees in Zone 9 - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by marigoldwhit
Is it too late in the year for me to plany an apple, orange and River Birch tree in my Zone 9 garden? Thanks, Marigold

You can plant now or you can wait until the weather is cooler this fall. If you plant now, pay special attention to watering needs. Newly planted trees can show stress as they re-establish their root systems and will need to be deeply soaked once or twice a week, depending upon weather. You can build a watering basin beneath each tree by making a shallow basin and mounding up soil all around, about 12 inches out from the trunk of the tree. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the rootmass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root zone. Once a week should do it - twice if it's really hot. Best wishes with your new trees.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"