watering - Knowledgebase Question

Seminole, Fl
Question by ddunstan29
My husband and I disagree on when to water flowers - I say not in the heat of the day and he says it doesn't matter.

Well.... from a plant's point of view, it does matter. Early morning watering is best. That's when a plant can take up the moisture it needs to prepare it for a long summer's day. Watering during the heat of the day isn't very economical - water evaporates quickly. And, plants that are enduring the heat won't be ready to drink of the water you provide. Plus, water droplets that remain on the leaves can actually magnify the sun's rays and burn the leaves. Watering late in the day can have it's drawbacks, too. While plants will readily drink up the water you apply, if the leaves remain wet overnight you could be courting disease pathogens. So, if you have a choice, water early in the day and try to keep water off the foliage. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"