What should I do next? - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by jmvalentin05
I planted grass about 8 weeks ago. noticing some areas turning brown and dying. Not sure if it's disease, lack of fertilizer(didn't fertilize for fear of killing new grass),or damage by dull mower blade. Replaced blade. Should I fertize or Is it too late? What if it was damaged by dull blade? What if it is a disease? What should I do next?

It's hard to know just what might be causing the brown areas - it could be one or all of the conditions you've mentioned. Lack of sufficient water is the number one cause of browning lawn. Since your turf is new, the browning is probably not from a disease but from a cultural problem. Changing the mower blade should take care of any scalping problems. Keep your grass about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches high and mow often enough that you never need to take off more than one third of the height of the blades. So, when the turf is 3 inches tall, it's time to mow. I think I'd rake the browning areas and reseed them then wait until you've mowed the new grass 2-3 times before fertilizing. Best wishes with your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"