Lawncare for new sod - Knowledgebase Question

Birmingham, Al
Question by jwjantz
I've been redoing my backyard the past 6 weeks and finally laid new sod last weekend (Centipede). I live in Birmingham, AL and I just wanted to see if you have any advice for me on maintaining the new lawn. I know most fertilizers can't be used on centipede so I just want to make sure I do the right things to maintain a beautiful, weed-free lawn that I can continue to enjoy and be proud of! Thanks

0

I think you're off to a good start. Sod is typically thick enough to crowd out most weeds so other than watering and mowing, your new sod probably won't need any special care this summer. In the fall you'll want to apply a winterizer fertilizer. It feeds the roots all winter long and builds cold hardiness. The slow release nitrogen will help it green up quicker in the spring. To keep your lawn weed free next year, apply a pre emergent herbicide in February or early March. Then, late next spring, fertilize with a 15-0-15, that contains micro=nutrients. (Look for fertilizers especially formulated for Centipede grasses.) Hope this information is helpful. Best wishes with your new lawn.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"