The Dogs Trail - Knowledgebase Question

Lansing, Mi
Question by mooreap
I have a trail along the fence in my back yard. Made by my 3 dogs. However I only have one dog now and he doesn't run along the fence. How or should I say what can I do with this dog trail along my fence to enhance my back yard? I can't wait to hear back.

The constant foot traffic has probably compacted the soil (at least that's what I've experienced because my dog loves to patrol the fence line). To get grass to grow again you'll want to dig out the area, mix in a little compost or other organic matter to help loosen the soil and allow it to drain well, and then reseed the area. Or, you can turn it into a flower border. You'll want to prepare the soil in the same way but instead of planting grass seeds, plant perennials and annuals in the spot. The key to repairing the area is to dig the soil up so it's nice and loose for the plant or grass roots. Best wishes with your renovation project.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"