Wife knows best! - Knowledgebase Question

creedmoor, No
Question by sheilasimps
The South side of our home gets direct sunlight most of the day. There is a large portion of the bermuda sod that doesn't seem to be established. (we've been there 2 years) (clay underneath) What's the best way to handle this?
I'm thinking till and replace sod in that area my husband disagrees.

0

Well... I don't like to get in the middle of family discussions.... however, it sounds as though the underlying problem is clay soil. You can rototill and start all over (tilling will break up the clay soil), or you can aerate the turf, which will also break up the clay. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs, giving water a place to go, loosening the soil, and inviting the grass roots to spread out, which should result in a thick healthy lawn. Either way, you'll be improving the clay soil. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"