Gardenia Kleim's Hardy in middle South? - Knowledgebase Question

Rock Hill, So
Question by daveinclt
I bought a Gardenia kleim's hardy because I want my front yard to have this smell. I live in Middle South region 6-8(upstate SC)and online it says this plant is region 10. Only down to 30 degrees. Our Winters can get down to around 15 degrees. Should I plant in a pot and place on the front porch (covered porch but open) and mulch up with pine needles in Winter? Please help...

0

Your zip code places you in zone 7B, which is the warmest part of the zone. Kleim's Hardy Gardenia is rated hardy in zones 7-10. While it might be chancy during especially cold winters, if you can provide some temporary protection for your gardenia, I think you can grow it in the ground outdoors. Try to find a spot protected from cold winter winds; near a foundation, perhaps. I think it's worth a try! Plant yours now so it can spend the summer establishing its root system in its new home and it should be ready to face the winter weather. Have a frost protection blanket at hand so you can cover your plant if really cold temperatures threaten. Best wishes with your new plant!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"