Gardenia infected - Knowledgebase Question

fairfax, Vi
Question by rohini_m_200
Hi,
My Gardenia plant seems to be loosing all the older leaves. There are black spots especially towards the tip of leaves and if u dont pluck them off they drop off in a day or too. Should i prune the plant back. the plant is blooming with buds and young healthy leaves at tip

0

I'm not sure whether the black spots are insects or the sign of some disease. Since your plant is putting out new growth and new flower buds, it would be a shame to prune it back - you'll lose all the flowers. I'd take a few of the spotted leaves off the plant, put them in a plastic baggie and see if the spots move off the leaves. If so, you're dealing with insects. If not, you're dealing with a fungal or bacterial disease. You can treat your plant with a fungicide or an insecticide, depending upon what the plastic baggie indicates. Be sure to choose a product that lists gardenia as a plant safe to use the product on. Best wishes with your gardenia.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"