Japanese Weeping Cherry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Lisbon, CT
Question by tjwakely
How can I salvage this tree? The trunk split years ago and was treated with

I never recommend using wound dressings on tree injuries. A healthy tree will callous over the damage without any intervention from us. The problem with wound dressings is that they keep the tree from healing over the damage. Tars, sprays, paint, etc. will all hinder the trees' ability to overcome the damage so don't use them. If the trunk is split and you can see through it, there's not much hope. The trees' vascular system is probably damaged too much for the tree to heal it over. If the split is only through the bark and some of the wood, you can try to repair the tree by drilling a hole through the trunk , opposite direction of the damage so you can cinch it together with long bolt. Tighten the nut enough to pull the split together. This method works best on fresh splits so I don't know if it will work on prior damage. But, it's worth a try!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"