squash over running herbs - Knowledgebase Question

Question by weinberg69
I carefully planned the position of my plants and the staking & trellising for the tomatoes and cucumbers in my 3'x8' garden. 3 squash plants are on the outside at 1 end, with herbs in the middle row next to them. 1 squash plant is already on top of the herbs. What do I do about that?

You can try to redirect the squash vines. If you're careful you can lift them up and move them a little at a time to coax them into growing in the opposite direction, away from the herbs. If that doesn't work, and if you have multiple vines on the squash plant, you can prune off the offending vines. This will reduce the number of squash you can harvest but it will save your herbs. If you decide to prune off a vine or two, the sap can attract insect pests. Allow the cut to stop oozing sap and then dab some white glue such as Elmer's over the stem stub. Good luck with your veggie garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"