Seedlings growing too quickly - Knowledgebase Question

North East, Pe
Question by bearfam6
I started several vegetables inside and now, even after transplanting to bigger containers, they are getting too big. How long do I have to wait before planting them outdoors and what should I do in the meantime?

0

Your average last frost date is about the middle of May so I think you can safely take your veggies outdoors. You'll need to harden them off before actually planting them in the garden. Start by taking them outdoors and placing them in a shady area during the day, then back indoors overnight. Keep them out for longer and longer periods of time until they are spending 24 hours a day outdoors. While you are helping them adjust to the outdoor temperatures, start moving them into the sunshine. Start with an hour or two of morning sun, gradually increasing the amount of sun exposure to all morning and all afternoon. The entire process should only take about a week. By that time they'll be ready to go into the ground. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"