Hellebore Flowers - Knowledgebase Question

west linn, Or
Question by louiso100
I have dark spots on the flowers of my hellebore. What does this mean and how can I get rid of it?
Thanks for the help!

The dark spots may be simply the aging of the petals, fly specks, or an indication of a fungal disease. If it is a disease, the worst to attack helleborus is black spot and it is impossible to control. Black spot causes large, irregular, black spots on both sides of the leaves. The spots are concentric and often run together. Many leaves yellow and die prematurely. In spring there may be black, canker-like spots on the leaves, stems and flower stalks. The stems shrivel at the point of infection and fall over. The leaves and unopened flower buds wilt. The flowers may also have black spots. Remove infected leaves and flowers. The causal organism is Coniothyrium hellebori and there is no chemical control.

At this point I would cut off any suspect flowers, flower buds and leaves. If you can remove the fungal spores you'll keep them from spreading to other plant parts. Let's hope this stops the problem in its tracks!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"