cactus replanting - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, Pe
Question by wasbiggsy
I recently purchased 14 cactus plants most are 4-5

0

It sounds to me as though you are all set to plant your new cacti. I'd fill the planter with the cactus potting mix and water it well so it settles nicely. The next day you can excavate holes in the planting mix to accommodate the roots of the cactus. Try to set them so they will be growing at the same soil level as they were growing in the nursery pots. Cactus grows slowly, but you'll still need to space them so each has adequate room to grow. After they are all planted, water them all in to settle them into their new growing spots. The biggest problem with growing cactus is overwatering. Plan on watering only 3 times a month in the summertime. I just water mine every 10 days and they seem happy. If you have rainfall during the week, skip the watering. Cactus will begin to fold their ridges if they need water, but it's a very slow process so just watch the rows of needles. If they seem to be getting closer together or if the ridges begin to shrink in size, the cacti are telling you they need water. When you do water, completely flood the potting soil. Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"