Planting flower - Knowledgebase Question

Beaverton, Or
Question by kelodyhasel
I am new to this area near Portland, Oregon and obviously inexperienced when planting. My flowers die so I guess I need to prepare my soil better. Can you help with suggestions of what to put in flower beds to make the soil better?

Depending upon where you came from, gardening in the Portland area might be quite different, indeed. Generally the soils are clayey but they drain really well so there's some sand in there, too. That's a good base for awesome garden soil. All you need to do is spread some compost or other organic matter over the surface of the soil and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. The organic matter will ensure the soil drains well, is loose enough for easy root penetration, and as it decomposes, the organic matter will also provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. You'll want to plant annuals and perennials with preference for sun or shade, depending upon what the garden plot can provide. Some great shade lovers include begonias, impatiens, bleeding heart, lobeilia, pansies, Japanese painted fern, and fuchsias. Sun lovers include nasturtiums, petunias, lilies, geraniums, columbine, and helleborus. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"