Help with my tree - Knowledgebase Question

wesley chapel, Fl
Question by sewellvjvd
my 3 yr old eastern redbud has open bark and black looking mold at soil level can i save my tree?

0

It doesn't sound good! The shedding bark indicates water has collected and stayed against the bark. This can happen if you planted the tree too deeply, or if you piled mulch up around the base of the tree. The black mold just confirms this. You may be able to brush or rake away the soil/mulch material and expose the butt of the tree to fresh air. It may dry out and the bark may callous over the naked part of the trunk. Or, you may have to dig and replace your red bud. If you do, be sure to plant it at the same soil level as it is growing in the nursery container and be careful not to let grass grow up against the trunk, or to pile mulch material against the trunk of the tree. Wish I had a magic solution for your tree!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"