gardenia bush - Knowledgebase Question

Boca Raton, Fl
Question by banickk
Last year I bought a gardenia bush that almost died this winter.I cut it back and moved it to a shadier spot and it came back has so many buds, but the flower buds are falling off before they open.what can I do for this problem?

There's no easy answer to the bud drop problem. In fact, one of the most difficult and frustrating problems in gardenia culture is bud drop or bloom failure. Causes of bud drop include root injury, insect damage, and unfavorable weather conditions. Insects, such as aphids and thrips, damage unopened buds, causing them to drop. Pear-shaped aphids are visible, but tiny thrips can go undetected until they have caused considerable damage.

During excessively hot, dry weather, bud drop is prevalent because the plant cannot absorb water rapidly enough to compensate for water lost through its leaves. Gardenias may also experience bud drop following a rapid drop in temperature.

I can only suggest that you keep your gardenia as happy as possible with adequate water, occasional misting and regular feeding - then hope the climate cooperates. Once everything is in order, your gardenia should bloom and bloom and bloom. Hope it's soon!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"