Geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

Plainview, Ne
Question by cvlanis1
My beautiful geraniums are getting yellow leaves-brand new good quality potting soil - had to bring them in for a few days because it got quite cold in our northeast area - I was able to put them out this weekend (got wrmer) and removed yellow leaves and a few dried out flowers - help

Cold weather can take its toll so that's the first consideration. And, geraniums do drop their oldest leaves (those towards the inside and lower down on the stems so what you are seeing might be normal. To force growth on the insides of the plant you need only to pinch out the tips of the stems. In fact, pinching throughout the season will result in a full and bushy geranium with lots of flowers. If all the foliage is turning yellow, overwatering and/or lack of sufficient light are the most common causes. Since you've recently potting your geraniums and then you needed to take them inside and back outdoors again, I think your plants are just trying to adjust to their new homes. As soon as the weather settles and your plants can be outdoors in full sunshine, I think they will be fine. Be careful with watering - allow the top inch of soil to dry out between waterings. Best wishes with your new plants.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"