Parsley and cilantro problem - Knowledgebase Question

Question by weinberg69
My parsley has white on the edges of the leaves and my cilantro is getting some white also; it started w/ the curley. They also have some white spots on the leaves, mostly the cilantro and the flat leaf parsley. Any suggestions? Also, can we eat it like this?

Parsley is a biennial. Older leaves may turn pale and fade, and a stressed or second year plant may taste bitter. Parsley plants can stress if the soil is allowed to dry out, when temperatures turn hot, or if the soil is not rich enough, or a combination of those factors. Second year plants will turn pale as part of their maturation process by which they then bolt or flower, set seed and die. At this point I would simply pull or cut off the affected leaves. The more you cut the parsley, the more new stems and foliage it will develop. Cutting off the affected leaves will ensure your plants remain healthy and they they continually develop new leaves.

Cilantro is a little different. It has a very short growing season - about 6-8 weeks. It doesn't matter how well you treat the plants, they simply run their full lifecycle and then die. To always have fresh cilantro for your kitchen, plant seeds at 2 week intervals. This way the older plants can naturally die off and at the same time the younger plants will provide you with lots of foliage. This way you'll always have fresh new plants with fresh new leaves to harvest. 

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"