Eucalyptus cinerea(silver dollar) - Knowledgebase Question

okanogan, Wa
Question by skolander
Was givin a silver dollar eucalyptus, needs help. #1 can I plant outdoors in my zone(5)? .#2 Its tall pot bound, few leaves on the bottom are turning brown. #3 More foilage on top but can I cut it back so bottom will produce new growth. Completely at a loss with this. No nothing about Eucalyptus.

0

Eucalyptus cinerea is rated hardy in zones 8-11 but it can tolerate temperatures of about 14F. I don't think it will grow well outdoors unless it's in a protected spot where it remains above freezing. It's normal for the oldest, lowest leaves to turn brown and fall off. Your eucalyptus is a tree and will eventually drop the lower branches. You can keep it smaller than its 50' by 20' height and width with careful pruning on an annual basis. If you prune back the tips of the branches your eucalyptus will respond by growing new stems and branches toward the center of the plant. Prune it all over as you would a hedge and you can keep it small for many years. I have a eucalyptus in a container in my Seattle area garden and I move it onto the front porch in late fall where it winters over nicely. The porch has a roof so no snow or rain falls on the plant. I do need to water it during the winter months but so far it has been unaffected by our winter weather. Best wishes with your tree!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"