Black Bugs on Parsley - Knowledgebase Question

Westmont, NJ
Question by daprile
November 13, 1998
I just brought my parsley in from outside. It's growing great but I've noticed tiny black bugs on some of the leaves. I tear the leaves off but a few days later the bugs return. What are they and what can I do about them?

November 13, 1998

0

Unfortunately, based on your description it's impossible to make a definite identification, but I suspect they are aphids. Aphids are soft bodied sucking insects and are fairly easy to control. Since this is a plant you are going to eat, you need to be careful about what you use to control them, whatever they may be. The first and one of the most effective approaches is hand pick them and then wash the leaves under a strong stream of water. This can be repeated as needed but twice a week would probably be about right. Another approach, if these are aphids, would be to use insecticidal soap being sure to carefully follow the label instructions. Good luck with your parsley!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"