Hawaiian Ti Plant Losing Color - Knowledgebase Question

Sanford, FL
Question by saddie1110
November 13, 1998
I pruned my Hawaiian Ti plant back drastically last spring due to leggy growth and also because the bottom stems were becoming bare. The plant came back very nicely, even more lush and bushier than before the pruning. Unfortunatley the new growth has very little of the glorious rose red, varigated coloring which caused me to plant this species in the first place. Is there anything I can do (or stop doing) that will bring the color back?

November 13, 1998

0

Hawaiian ti plants are most colorful where they get four or more hours a day of direct sunlight, or where they get artificial and natural light averaging 800 foot-candles over 12 hours a day, but they grow fairly well and have attractive though less colorful foliage in curtain-filtered or bright indirect light, such as that reflected from light walls. Your plant should color up again as you give it plenty of light and allow the new foliage to reach full size.

Thanks for the question!