root vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Greensboro, No
Question by Itzyespin
Hi,my carrots and beets have beautiful tops but the root takes almost twice the time(it saids on the seed packet)to develop and they are on the small size what I'm doing wrong and what can I do to help them(organic garden).Thanks so much for your help.

0

Root crops need a deep, loose, well-drained soil to grow well. Is the soil in your garden compacted, or heavy and blocky? If it is heavy, work in some organic matter. As organic matter decays, it releases compounds that make soil more "workable," as well as promoting good moisture retention and providing nutrients to plants. You may find that building a raised bed makes a difference for your root crops, since they'll have a looser soil to grow in. As long as you thin the seedlings and water your crop regularly throughout the growing season, they should thrive. Another thing that comes to mind is fertilization. If you feed root crops too much nitrogen, they'll produce a lot of top growth and little in the way of roots. Have your soil tested to see if you need to balance your soil's nutrients -- that may make the difference. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"