Lilac care - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by danahedman
I have a lilac bush that is doing well. To maintain it: should I cut off the dead blooms, or let them be? I've read that leaving them causes it to make seeds; aren't seeds a going thing? But that cutting them allows it to put its energy into making more blooms next year. What's best? Thanks.

0

Anytime you allow seeds to form it saps the energy of the plant. Lilac seeds aren't all that viable so I'd remove the spent blooms before they begin to develop seeds. Lilacs spend the summer developing new growth, plus flower buds for the following spring. The more you prune your lilacs, the more new growth and potential flowers it can produce. So prune your lilac back as soon as it has finished flowering and it will develop into a thick and bushy shrub with lots of flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"