roses don't look healthy - Knowledgebase Question

las vegas, Ne
Question by eshytown123
I received 5 rose bushes for mothers day. Planted them that day. The leaves are turning yellow and looks like the roses are dying. I live in Las vegas nv. where it is very hot and they are in direct sunlight all day. I have a sprinkler system that waters them 3 times a wk. What can I do to survive them.

It can take newly planted roses several weeks to establish their roots and during the time they can look a little puny. Eventually they adjust and put out new growth. You didn't say whether or not you fed your roses. Use a specially formulated rose food in amounts as recommended on the label and water it in well. Yellowing leaves can indicate too much water so check the soil moisture content. It should be moist but not saturated or soggy wet and when you water, it should penetrate down to the roots of the plants, not just wet the first few inches of soil. It may be that you'll need to move your roses out of the range of your sprinkler system and instead water deeply by hand or put it on a drip system so that the water trickles down and wets the entire root mass but then allows the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Best wishes with your roses!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"