Rose Help - Knowledgebase Question

Dade City, Fl
Question by Jcastro905
I recently bought a house back in Dec. and it has a huge rose bush in the front. The brush is about 4 1/2 feet tall and very round. The blooms on it are very rapid, it seems like they go from buds to fully open blooms in a day or two and loose their petals. I have been told that I need to prune it but don

0

It sounds to me as though you are growing a floribunda rose. The roses are short-lived but the shrub puts out so many roses that it barely matters that they live for such a short time. If you prune off the spent roses, your plant will develop more and more roses all season long. The process known as deadheading removes spent flowers. If these are not removed, the rose bush spends its energy creating hips, or seed pods, rather than new blooms.

When the flowers are spent, count down two or three leaf nodes from the bloom and make your pruning cut there. A leaf node is the swollen area along the stem where the leaves or a leaf are growing. Look for a leaf node that faces outward. This is so the new growth from the stem grows outward away from the center of the plant after the cut is made.

Cut the stem at a 45-degree angle with the pointed or upper end of the angle 1/4 inch above the outward-facing leaf node. Use hand garden shears. The angled cut encourages moisture to run off the cut area.

Deadhead your floribunda rose bush throughout the season to increase the number of blooms and keep the plant healthy. If your rose bush is getting too large, simply increase the length of stem you remove during the deadheading process. Remember to always cut at a 45-degree angle and above an outward-facing leaf node. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "