weed be gone is killing my azalzea and my japanese maple tree - Knowledgebase Question

Bellwood, Il
Question by tevindl
I made a hugh mistake by sraying weed be gone around the mulch surrounding a japanese maple tree, azalea, and rose bushes now everything is drying up and dying. what can I do to save them?

I'm not aware of any way you can fix the problem. Once you start to see the symptoms, the herbicide has already entered the vascular systems of the plants. Weed B Gon contains both 2,4-D and Dicamba. Both are broadleaf weed killers and the product cannot discern whether the broadleaves are on a tree, a shrub or a weed. These are systemic herbicides meaning they enter the roots and are transported throughout the plant via the vascular system. Once inside the plant, there's no way to get them out of the plant or to dilute their effects. If the dosage was minimal, you'll see minimal damage; if the uptake of the chemicals was large, you'll see much more damage. The product may not kill the plants outright but you're likely to see curled leaves and dead twigs and stem tips for the next 6 weeks. At this point simply water as usual and hope the chemical has done the worst of the damage and your plants will recover. Hope you see an improvement soon!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"