Rose Propagation - Knowledgebase Question

Clearwater, Fl
Question by harolddkiehl
My wife received a rose from her grandmother prior to her passing,I was wondering is it possible to make more from this last plant? Thanks.

It's possible but not always successful to start new rose bushes from cuttings. But there's no harm in trying! Choose healthy leafy canes that are not too tough and about the diameter of a pencil. Using asharp knife, cut off the soft tip of the cane and then cut it into 4-5 inch pieces. Each piece should have at least 2 nodes and some leaves. Strip off the bottom leaves exposing a node and plant the cuttings in moist soil and keep them in bright shade and high humidity. You can use containers covered with plastic bags, or set them in the ground in the shade and cover them with plastic jugs. You might try both methods. Take as many cuttings as you can to ensure success. Good luck.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"