Onion flowering - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by kellytabah
I bought and transplanted a red onion and texas sweet onion set. Some of the onion stalks have flowers on them and seem full of seeds. I have never grown onions and dont know what this means or what to do with them...I am in Zone 13 Arizona

The general practice is to cut off the flower stalk as soon as you see it developing. If you allow the stalk to grow, flower and produce seeds, it will rob the stored carbohydrates from the bulb and you will not get to harvest your onion. At this point you can allow the seeds to ripen then harvest and plant them for onions you can harvest in the late fall. As you're growing onions (sets are usually planted in October in the Phoenix area), watch your plants carefully. If you see a seed stalk forming, cut it off the plant. When the foliage turns yellow it indicates the onion bulbs are ready for harvest. Good luck with your crop!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"