Planting Blueberries in pairs ? - Knowledgebase Question

San jose, Ca
Question by snair_misc
I recently bought a blueberry plant (with plant code of TAPD2956) from Home Depot. It did not tell me anywhere on the label, or on this site, what type of Blueberry it is ?!! Can you please help me on this?

Do I need to plant this type of Blueberry in pairs, in order to get some fruits ? If yes, can I plant any variety of Blueberry as the second pair or it has to be the exact same type ?

Yours is one of the new low-chill Southern Highbush Blueberries and while blueberries are somewhat self-fertile, yours will produce more fruit if you plant a second variety in your garden. Before investing in another blueberry, why not wait to see how yours performs? Look for flowers next spring and developing fruit a few weeks after it flowers. If your plant flowers but does not set fruit, plant a second blueberry in your yard. If it doesn't flower next spring, it's too young and will need another year in the ground before it is capable of flowering. Best wishes with your new blueberry!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"