How do I repot orchid plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Jim Thorpe, Pe
Question by jjsnyderus
I got what I need for repotting my plants but I don't know if you cover the root system or let them on top not covered. Please let me know how to repot them. Thanks, Audrey

Orchids have both underground and above ground, or aerial roots. When growing in their natural habitat, which is in tree tops, orchids send out aerial roots so they can attach themselves to a nearby tree or branch and develop offshoot or baby plants. These aerial roots should remain above the soil level when your repot your orchid. If you bury them they will rot, which could damage the entire orchid plant. To repot, simply lay the pot on its side and gently coax the orchid out of the old pot. Set it in the new pot and place orchid potting mix around the roots near the sides of the pot, tamping it down to secure the plant in its new pot. Be sure to plant it so it will be growing at the same soil depth as it was growing before and be careful not to bury the aerial roots. Best wishes with your orchid!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"