Ninebark plants - Knowledgebase Question

Plainfield, Il
Question by fanthulsey
My home has a Western exposure and I have planted 2 ninebark plants in the from bed and every year one of the plants dies. Plants are watered early morning and into the base only. Is there something I am not doing?

0

Ninebark is hardy in your growing region so we can rule out winter dieback, and they generally adapt easily to most soils, especially liking moist but well draining soils. They also grow and flower best in full sunshine. I think the environmental and cultural conditions are good to excellent in the planting site you describe so I'm stumped as to why your ninebarks are not thriving. If you decide to replace them (again), be sure to incorporate some organic matter into the bed prior to planting. This will ensure the soil is loose, and drains quickly, yet holds just the right amount of moisture for the roots. Although your plants are watered regularly with a sprinkler, the water may not be trickling down far enough to wet the roots. I'd water them by hand, applying water slowly so it can penetrate down into the rootmass. Once or twice a week should be all they need. Hope this information helps you successfully grow your ninebark shrubs.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"