wisteria not flowering - Knowledgebase Question

lagrangeville, Ne
Question by caroljackcor
i have wisteria now planted x 4 years stil to this day never flowers .Very large invasive healthy looking but no flowers. Can you help me

I know it can be frustrating, but wisteria plants have a longer than average juvenile period and as a result can sometimes fail to bloom as expected. Seven years is not at all unusual with wisteria. With this in mind, you're halfway there!

A wisteria can also fail to bloom if: it does not receive full sunlight; there is excessive vegetative growth that may have been stimulated by excess nitrogen fertilizer; it is pruned heavily in winter and spring, which encourages vigorous, vegetative growth; and/or it is pruned improperly. Also, in severe winters, flower buds may be injured or killed. The following practices may help induce non-blooming vines to flower: a heavy application of superphosphate (0-20-0) in early spring (3#-5# per 100 square feet), and severe pruning of new growth in late spring or early summer, followed by root pruning in late fall.

Root pruning is sometimes done in late fall to stimulate young plants to bloom or to restore blooming on older plants. It serves to check top growth and favor flower production. Use a spade to cut vertically into the soil (about 18 inches deep) and about four feet from the main trunk, all around the vine. Do a little tip pruning this summer and some root pruning this fall and with any luck your wisteria will bloom for you. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"