no pine cones - Knowledgebase Question

portland, Or
Question by bndymock
10 years ago, I harvested seeds from some long needles pines growing wild in Astoria, OR. Many seedlings sprouted and we planted two, one in the backyard and one in front. They have thrived and have gotten quite large. However, neither pine tree has put off cones. Any idea why? We get lots of new growth on both and our other pine, a dragon eye, puts off lots of cones every year. thanks.

0

While most pines have separate male and female cones on the same tree, a few develop only male cones which fall off when they are still quite small. Female cones can take a year and a half to three years to grow and mature. The bottom line is that if your pines are capable of producing female, or seed bearing cones, they will. Although in the case of pine trees, size is no indication of maturity, a 10 year old tree should certainly be old enough to flower and produce cones. I'm as stumped as you are!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"