Fort Worth, Te
|I bought a couple house plants and transplanted them. there is a whitish substinse on the soil and mushrooms are growing. why is this and what should i do? thank you
|Answer from NGA
May 19, 2010
|The whitish substance is simply a build up of salts on the soil surface. It won't harm your plants. It becomes concentrated on the soil surface as the water evaporates. You can leach it out of the soil by flooding the container with fresh water two or three times in succession. Mushrooms are sprouting because the potting soil is decomposing. They won't hurt your plant. You can simply pick them out of the soil and toss them in the trash. If either condition bothers you, use a kitchen fork and gently break up the top inch of potting soil. This will allow air to dry out the soil and should stop the mushroom growth along with the white coating on the soil surface.
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage