hollow squash - Knowledgebase Question

Warrenville, So
Question by jmm824
I asked last night about my crookneck squash growing with no seeds. They are only about 3-4 inches in length on the plant but empty inside. If I leave them on the plant the deflate! I grew them from package seeds I purhcased at the Home Depot.

0

I'm relatively certain the problem has to do with lack of sufficient pollination, accommpanied by weather conditions. What you describe are the signs and symptoms of a condition called hollow heart. Hollow heart is a problem most likely to occur early in the season and when conditions alternate between wet and dry soil and / or hot and cold temperatures. Good pollination is important in preventing this disorder, so companion planting to encourage lots of bees and other pollinating insects can help. Too much nitrogen and/or excessive water, especially during fruit set, can also encourage hollow heart. I think as the plants mature, the weather stablizes and there's more bee activity in the garden, the problem will go away. Best wishes with your squash.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"