How do I know when my Garlic is finished growing - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
I planted garlic from a clove that started growing in my fridge. I placed it roughly 3/4

0

Garlic takes 5-7 months to mature and is usually planted in October in the Phoenix area. When the tops of the plants begin to die down, the garlic is nearly ready for harvest. Wait until the tops are completely brown, then dig your garlic and either use or store it. The problem with starting garlic from a clove you get at the supermarket is that they are generally treated with a retardant so they won't sprout, and if they do, the growth can be weak. Plus, there are two distinct groups of garlic: hardneck and softneck. Hardnecks, sometimes called ophios, have the Latin name of Alium sativum ophioscorodon. Softnecks are known as Alium sativum sativum. Hardneck garlic grows best in the Phoenix area. It's best to purchase garlic for planting from your local garden center or nursery (or from seed catalogs).

Best wishes with your garlic!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"