What would you do? - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by Tccoleman
I planted some fantasy salmon millifora petunias in 10 hanging baskets! They started to bloom. NOT impressed! Short bloom period, washed out look!. I'm competing w/ my sister! She thinks she can garden better than me! NOT!!! I did'nt pick this fight! Should I replace them with another? Will they get better with time? TONS of shoots! They R VERY healthy. I could put them in a bed. Hey...I show off!

Milliflora petunias are compact, miniature plants that produce abundant quantities of perfect, small flowers only an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. They make good edging plants and are also attractive when mixed with other flowering annuals in containers, where they may be viewed close-up.

Because their flowers are small, they won't give that colorful impact you're seeking. I think I'd plant them in a garden bed and replant the containers with Multiflora petunias. Their flowers are smaller than the grandifloras, but they make up for it with the sheer number of blossoms that are open at any given time. Like grandiflora varieties, they're available in single or double forms, though the vast majority are singles. Typically, they create big splashes of color in the garden.

I don't think it's cheating, but feeding your plants every 2-3 weeks with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (I use Miracle Gro) will keep them growing well, and pinching out the stem tips and pinching out the spent flowers will make your plants full, bushy, and loaded with flowers all summer long.

Best wishes with your competition!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"